Keep in mind that Casper is a relatively new company although it’s quickly making a name for itself, thanks to its direct-to-consumer, online-only business model.
Tempurpedic is among the more established mattress brands with many of its products found in homes, dormitories, and hotels, among others.
Comparison of Cover
The textiles used on the cover of Casper’s mattress were imported from Belgium and are made from several materials. The top and bottom white fabric is 100% polyester while the side panels combine polyester and polypropylene. The cover fabrics are soft with a slightly stretchy quality, but these are relatively thin.
The fabric on the Tempurpedic mattress is a blend of polyester (94%) and spandex (6%) so it feels soft and stretchy to the touch. More important, it has a breathable quality resulting in better temperature regulation, aside from its removable design for ease of cleaning. Just unzip the zipper hidden by the blue trim, strip the cover from the mattress, and wash it in the washing machine.
Comparison of Construction
The Casper mattress consists of four layers of foam with an overall 9.5” thickness.
- The top layer consists of 1.5” poly-foam, a highly responsive foam that provides softness on one hand and support, bounce and quick responsiveness to pressure on the other hand. We like that it doesn’t become too warm even when it’s exposed to a warm body in a single position for hours on end.
- The second layer is a 1.5” memory foam that provides body contouring support and pressure relief. We like that it doesn’t come into direct contact with the body so there’s less issue about heat retention for which memory foam is known for.
- The third layer is a 1.5” transition poly-foam that adds to the comfort aspect to the mattress.
- The bottom layer is a 5” high-density support foam that serves as a breathable foundation for the topmost layers.
The Tempurpedic mattress also consists of four layers of foam. In the case of the Cloud Supreme Breeze, which we have chosen for this review due to its similarities with the Casper mattress, it’s an 11.5” mattress with the following layers.
- The top layer consists of 2” memory foam that provides the highly satisfactory body contouring, comfort and support aspects that Tempurpedic is known for.
- The second layer is also a 2” memory foam but with a firmer feel than the top layer. The increased support also contributes to the smoother transition from the softer top layer to the firmer bottom layers.
- The third layer consists of 4” polyurethane foam, yet another transition layer from the comfort foam to the foundation layer.
- The fourth layer is a 3.5” polyurethane foam, a dense foam that provides the compression support and acts as the mattress base.
While the Tempurpedic mattress is 2” thicker than the Casper mattress, the latter provides as much comfort and support as the former. Keep in mind that it isn’t the thickness of the mattress and its layers that’s the be-all and end-all of mattress quality – it’s also about the type, thickness, and order of the foam materials used.
Comparison of Comfort and Support
The Casper mattress has a medium firm feel while the Tempurpedic mattress has slightly softer feel. If we are to use a firmness scale with 10 being the firmest, the former will be a 7 while the latter will be a 5.
The firmer quality of the Casper mattress means that it’s a better choice for people on the heavier side, about 180+ pounds, since it will respond quicker to changes in position. There’s also less of the feeling of sinking into the bed on the Casper mattress than on the Tempurpedic mattress without compromising on the comfort aspect.
The Tempurpedic mattress, nonetheless, offers impressive comfort for people who like sleeping on their backs and sides. But if you’re a stomach sleeper, you will find that it’s slightly softer than your preferred mattress. You will also sink deeper into the mattress, especially around your lower back and hips, resulting in compromised support.
We must say that between the two choices, the Casper mattress appears to be the better choice for people who like sleeping in a variety of positions, as well as those who like a firmer mattress. The Tempurpedic mattress is best suited for those who want more comfort than support from their beds.
Of course, the quality of the mattress isn’t the only thing that should be considered although it’s the most important one. Be sure to look into the other details, too.
The Casper mattress comes with free shipping with a 2-7 day delivery period, a 10-year warranty, and a 100-day trial period, as well as a 100% refund. The Tempurpedic mattress also comes with free shipping with a 2-3 weeks delivery period, a 10-year warranty, and a 100-night trial period, but there are no refunds allowed; instead, a maximum of one exchange is allowed.